I am registered as a taxpayer, but lost my job. Must I inform Sars?

I was employed and earned enough to pay tax(PAYE), but in the beginning of this year I lost my job and I am now unemployed.

At this current moment I am studying again but I don't know? If I receive any money like pocket money am I still required to pay PAYE? Because I don't work, I am just studying and want to know what must I do to avoid the penalties and fines from SARS.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
21 April 2013 at 22:36

Pocket money and similar received from parents or family members will not be taxed nor subject to PAYE so you don't have to worry. However to avoid penalties for non-submission of tax returns you could file a zero return by clicking on the button on your return saying you were unemployed for the full year.

TaxTim is FREE for all Momentum & Multiply members.

Use your ID number at the payment step to claim your free TaxTim voucher

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started FREE

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.