I am living in S.A. but soon to be paid from Australia. Just trying to work out my tax implications.

I am living in S.A. and about to be paid approx R19000 p/m from Australia. This may be paid into my Australian account or S.A. account - haven't decided. I am trying to work out my tax implications in both countries. I am being paid as a contractor by the Australian company for work that I am doing here.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
23 May 2013 at 20:43

If you are performing work in SA and are a SA tax resident then you would need to pay tax in SA regardless of where the money is paid. You also need to have permission to have a foreign bank account so I suggest having the money paid into your SA account.

Sloshyd says:
24 May 2013 at 12:56

So I am an Australian citizen, but a South African Permanent resident. I was not aware that I would need permission to still have my Australian bank account - who do I get that permission from. Then if I am getting paid from Australia and I have to pay tax here, don't I also have to pay tax in Australia, which would mean getting taxed twice?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
26 May 2013 at 23:14

Apologies, I didn't know you were an Australian resident. It would depend where you are tax resident, but usually you pay tax on the income earned from services rendered in the country were you worked and can use this as a tax credit in other places if you are taxed twice. As an Australian resident you will still be able to have any bank account wherever you are.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.