I am from the UK, but will get permanent residence in SA, but I have money overseas, will I pay tax

If i bring funds into SA and earn interest do I have to pay tax on it, what is the free allowance and then how much is it thereafter please?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
5 November 2012 at 1:54

If you bring money into South Africa and invest it somewhere earning interest then you will only be liable to pay tax once you become a tax resident or you spend longer than 183 days in South Africa.

If you do become liable to pay tax then, if you are under the age of 65 and earn no other income, then you will only pay tax on interest earned above R86 356 each tax year.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.