How will I be taxed on my coaching income from a sports club if I already have an office job?

My office job pays PAYE and gives me an IRP5. The club pays me per an hour for work performed. How will this coaching income be taxed? The club does not deduct any form of tax from my income as far as I know. If I am to be taxed on this coaching income are there any deductible expenses I can use to offset against it?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
30 April 2013 at 15:10

The income earned from the club will need to be included in your income tax return. You would include the extra income under the "local business income" section of the ITR12 (tax return). You can claim certain deductions, which would be the any expenses you had which resulted in you earning the coaching income. So for example petrol you spent to get to the club, telephone calls or anything else business related only. You would include these expenses in the boxes provided on the ITR12 and be taxed on the "profit" figure.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.