How to submit a dispute after IT34 notice

Posted 21 November 2012 under Tax Q&A
I am a medical doctor working in a state hospital. I get an IRP5 from Western Cape department of Health. I also earned R12 020 in the last year doing private locums which I have declared. I understand that I will have to pay tax on this amount and have made provisions for this. When I received my IT34, it says I owe R11000 (almost as much as I earned in total). I usually get money back on my returns (from medical aid, income protection and retirement annuity) so I don't know how they calculated this amount. How do I dispute this? Thank you.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
21 November 2012 at 18:46

In order to dispute an ITA34, you would lodge a notice of objection, if you click the "dispute" button on your ITA34 on SARS eFiling or on the Income Tax Working Page you can then file an NOO (Notice of Objection).

If you want to send your ITA34 to let me see where the error may be first because you can request a correction on your submission before you go through the process of lodging objections which takes up a lot of time.

Sarah says:
22 November 2012 at 14:13

Thank you for your reply. I have realised my mistake. I thought that I owed SARS R11 000 but actually, they owe me this amount. Hugely relieved! Thank you, Sarah

TaxTim TaxTim says:
22 November 2012 at 18:33

That's a pleasure Sarah, good thing it is the other way around! Enjoy your refund!

Get FREE Help with your Tax Return today from

TaxTim's award-winning tax return services are now free to all Momentum policyholders and Multiply clients:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →