How to calculate provisional tax?

When a company is a few months behind on their books (Nov 2012), can I either use an estimate from the 1st return (Aug), or even a 8-10% calculation above the 2012 returns, or figures just to get the provisional tax in? I'm still new to provisional returns - is the second (Feb) return's figures the TOTAL of the year, or the difference between the total and Aug's figures, i.o.w. the two returns should be the total? Thank you again!

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
9 April 2013 at 16:06

The February return is the total amount for the year (assuming a February year end as for a company the provisional return must be filed 6 months before year end and then again at year end). You should be able to use some method to calculate the earnings, but be careful not to underestimate too much or else SARS will penalise you.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.