How much of medical expenses not covered by medical aid do you get back?

I am a salaried employee and have out of pocked medical expenses, what can I claim for tax purposes?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
15 April 2013 at 19:35

You are able to claim medical expenses incurred which have been prescribed by a registered medical practitioner. However only amounts that exceed 7.5% of your taxable income will be allowed as a deduction. You should include all these amounts in your tax return and let SARS determine if it is allowed as a deduction. Remember that if SARS asks for proof you must have the print out from the pharmacy and proof of payment.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.