How many years of back-tax can you claim for?

I've been working part-time, although it is practically full-time, for the past five years. The work pays 25% of my incoming salary to tax. As I understand it I can claim for a portion of this money back, but have failed to do so in the past years. I just want to know if I can claim for previous years worked as well and what I will need to claim this. I do have my IRP 5's from the years of 2010, 2011 and 2012, 2013 not being out yet. Please help!

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
20 May 2013 at 18:00

You will be able to submit your tax returns for the last 5 years, I am not sure how much you will get back as a refund, it would depend on what you have earned each year, but most certainly can submit.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.