How does the taxation of freelance pilots income when they go on contract abroad?

I am working as a freelance pilot, invoicing a company per daily perdiem, or s & t as its called in Dollar,they taxed me 25 % out of the blue. I have done contracts for a long time and it has never happened before as I comply with the exemption requirements always for the time spent in the other countries, please advise?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
15 November 2012 at 14:34

In a case like this you may need to apply for a SARS directive to avoid having these companies tax you at 25%. You would most likely be entitled to a refund of this amount at the end of the tax year anyway. Ask the company to apply for a directive or else this is something you would need to at SARS. The company may also be able to have you sign something stating they are not withholding tax because you are exempt or you will pay this yourself. They should have knowledge of how to do this.

Dee says:
15 November 2012 at 17:45

Thanks Tim,that helps alot,you a legend!!

TaxTim TaxTim says:
15 November 2012 at 17:53

Only a pleasure Dee!

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.