How does the tax on medical aid contributions appear on my IRP5?

I am a pensioner and the company I worked for pays my medical aid contributions in full. When I call up my file on efiling, the prepopulated fields are (3810) and (4005) with a "1" and field (4474) with the full amount of the contributions paid by the company. Is this correct? I do not receive a pension from the company.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
5 October 2012 at 12:21

This is not correct, all those numbers should be the same if your employer pays for all the medical aid. You can change it on the IRP5 section of the Tax return, but then SARS are going to request you to submit supporting documentation which would obviously not support what you have changed. My advice would be to contact your employer and get them to correct this with SARS. IS your IRP5 from your employer correct? IF so then make the changes on your return and submit the IRP5 when they SARS asks for it.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.