How does tax get deducted from a self employed sales/marketing consultant?

I freelance as a sales/marketing consultant. I charge a consulting fee per day to companies and also receive commission on any sales made during that period. What percentage gets taxed on the commission and what percentage on the consulting income? What can I claim back as a freelancer? (travel, accommodation, airfare, food)?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
23 February 2013 at 17:20

You will be taxed according to the tax tables. Some of your clients may withhold some tax from you, but this will get taken into account so you never over pay your tax liability. You are able to claim back all business related expenses that you incurred in earning this income.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.