Do your Tax with TaxTim and WIN R10,000  More info   T&C's apply

How do I do my taxes as a freelancer?

Tshepiso says:
1 March 2024 at 22:13

I'm a freelancer  - how do I do my taxes? Do I register as provisional taxpayer or can I still pay PAYE monthly?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
4 March 2024 at 9:33

Yes, you are classified as a provisional taxpayer from the date you start earning freelance income.

You are also now required to submit two provisional tax returns (IRP6s)  during the tax year, and if you under declare your income you would need to pay a 3rd top up payment. You also need to submit  the final income tax return (ITR12) after the tax year has passed (usually from 1 July).

For more information, please refer to our Provisional Tax Guide and blog here.

PAYE is only applicable for employees who work for an employer and earn a monthly salary. This is not applicable to you since you are not an employee, but rather a freelancer.   Check out our Independent Contractor decision tree to make sure you are being taxed as a freelancer correctly.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.