How do I correct a mistake that I have made on my tax return that resulted in a penalty by SARS?

I submitted my tax return for the 2012/13 financial year. I was requested to submit supporting documents, which I did. I was informed that I owe a sum of +-R16200 to SARS. It transpired that when I declared my medical expenses I included "cents" on my return. As a result of this I was penalised a sum of +-R162000 which I feel is unfair and unreasonable. How do I correct this?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
22 March 2013 at 16:02

You would need to lodge a dispute by clicking the dispute button on the ITA34 or your Income Tax Work Page. You then complete a NOO1 and submit a letter with your reasons for the dispute and hope SARS accept your reasoning and reduce the fee.

A tax practitioner could do this for you at a fee, but it can be done by yourself. Just explain the situation carefully.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.