How do I convert from a provisional taxpayer to a regular taxpayer?

Posted 29 October 2012 under Tax Q&A
I have been paying tax as a Provisional Taxpayer to 2004 tax year. I was then permanently overseas and no longer liable for tax in SA. I returned in April 2012 and wish to pay tax as a regular taxpayer. Do I need to re-register or can I give my employer my provisional tax reference no.?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
17 October 2012 at 0:36

Your tax number stays the same, just make sure that it has not been deactivated. This has happened in some cases. You will also need to de-register as a Provisional Taxpayer (this wont affect your tax number) You can do this on eFiling by going to the Home Tab and clicking tax types and de-registering there. This will mean you are only a "regular" taxpayer.

Get FREE Help with your Tax Return today from

TaxTim's award-winning tax return services are now free to all Momentum policyholders and Multiply clients:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →