How do I claim tax paid for part time work done?

I have a full time job. Over the past year I have also taken on part time work over weekends. I have heard that this tax can be claimed back provided I do not fall in the next tax bracket. Please explain how to do this.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
27 June 2013 at 23:03

Did you receive an IRP5 for this work? IF so then SARS will calculate your overall tax owing based on the amount earned for the year and if you are due a refund then you will receive this.

Deej says:
29 June 2013 at 17:02

I do receive an IRP5 for this work. So SARS will take into account that it is not my full time job?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
30 June 2013 at 23:26

When you submit your ITR12 - income tax return on eFiling you will see all your IRP5's on the return. Once submitted the calculation will be done and given that your part time work may have been taxed at a different bracket you may be entitled to a refund.

Use your IRP5's on our refund calculator to see if you are due a tax refund.

Refund Calculator

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.