How do I claim tax back as a South African working outside of SA?

Hi, I am a South African working outside South Africa, getting payed by a South African company into my SA bank account. The company pays my PAYE / Pay As You Earn. I am out the country for - 260 days a year, and have time period longer than 90 days consecutive outside of SA. How can I get my tax back?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
27 December 2012 at 8:58

When you file your tax return you would need to include the amount of time spent outside of SA. So there is a first question that asks "Did you perform any foreign services", click Yes to that and a section called Residency will appear where you will include the days spent outside of SA in the previous 2 years. You would also click Yes to the question that asks did you earn any amounts you considered non-taxable. In that section you must include the amount under the block asking about s10(1)(o).

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.