How can we claim bond interest from rental income when married out of COP?

John says:
13 April 2016 at 12:27

My wife and I are married out of COP (ANC with accrual). My wife owns an unbonded property that she lets. This means she has a lease agreement with the tenants, although they pay their rent into my account. I own the property that we reside in, which is bonded. The nett effect is that we receive rental income and pay bond interest, albeit on different properties. I would like to be able to claim the bond interest from my wife's taxable income. In order to do so, I assume we need to take out a bond on the rented property. Does it matter (a) in whose name the bond is, (b) from whose bank account the bond repayment is made, and (c) into whose account the rent is paid into?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
14 April 2016 at 9:25

Unfortunately as there is no actual expenses for interest relating to the rental income, regardless of your marital status, then nothing can be claimed against the income earned.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.