Home Office expense calculation?

Your guide mentions I must take the total househould expense (for the year I presume) and multiply by the square meterage (5m) - should this not be divide by square meterage and not multiply (R3000 x 12 / 5m?)

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
24 September 2012 at 15:21

What it means is to take the expense and multiply it by percentage of the house that is used as an office and for no other purpose.

So if your home is 200m and the office is 15m then you would take the expense and multiply it by 15/200 then by 12 for the full tax year.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.