Hi, I'm not sure about my medical aid payments and also I have a company petrol card.

My current salary package is Cost to Company. Does this mean I pay the medical aid or does the company pay it. The other issues is that I get a fuel allowance, but its not put into my salary. I have a fuel card.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
10 June 2013 at 22:38

If the fuel cost is for business use only then you won't be taxed on this. The medical aid is paid out of your cost to company, but the company will pay it for you. You will be taxed on this as it is effectively earnings, but you will receive a tax credit depending on the number of members you have on the medical aid.

Trevor says:
11 June 2013 at 7:37

Hi Tim, many thanks for your prompt response. When you say tax credit on depending how many members, I have 3 members together with myself. Do I just fill it in on the required fields on eFiling stating that the company pays the entire portion.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
11 June 2013 at 9:42

If your IRP5 certificate already appears on eFiling then you don't need to complete any contribution amounts. However on the medical aid section you would indicate how many members there were on your medical aid each month, including yourself.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.