Fringe benefit tax on company car

Hi Tim,

I have driven a company owned and paid-for motor vehicle so pay fringe benefit tax based on the value of the car when it was purchased (new). Should that value be adjusted as the motor vehicle is no longer worth that much? How do I go about it to ensure it's always up to date? Thanks a mil!

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
26 November 2012 at 17:13

The value will always be based on the cost/cash value of the vehicle and how many years old it is. When you enter the details on eFiling, the SARS calculator works this out for you and adjusts the amount deducted from the travel allowance/right of use of the car based on the age and value. They have inbuilt tables for this.

I hope you kept a logbook! Try our free mobile phone logbook:

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.