Freelance earning under R60 000 p/a. What tax do I pay?


I work on a freelance basis. I have one regular client who deducts tax from my pay (@ 23% of invoiced amount).
Other clients pay me in full.

I earned less that R60 000 in the 2012 tax year as I was abroad for most of the year.

As far as I understand, I should not have to pay any tax as I have earned less that R60 000? But I should be reimbursed for the tax I paid through client?

What tax forms do I need to complete?


This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
13 December 2012 at 13:07

You are correct that you do not need to pay tax as you are below the threshold, however unless you have a directive saying that no tax should be withheld the company is obliged to do so and pay it over to SARS. The good news is that you should be able to claim all that tax back by submitting your ITR12.

If you are registered for eFiling you will be able to submit your ITR12 tax return as this should be on the system already. Alternatively if you have your IRP5, which you should have received from your regular client, you can go through the TaxTim process and insert your details and let Tim help you file your return.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.