Switch to TaxTim and WIN R10,000  T&C's apply
How do you currently do your tax?
SARS eFiling Tax Practitioner Auto-assessment New to tax

Earnings of a teacher and tax

Bollie says:
5 June 2019 at 13:57

I would like to find out if I should submit a tax return as a teacher that earns R300 000 per annum. Would this be required of me?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
5 June 2019 at 14:15

For the 2019 tax year (i.e. 1 March 2018 to 28 February 2019), if your earnings are less than R500 000 per annum, you do not need to submit a tax return provided that the following criterias are met:

You only received an employment income or salary for the full year of assessment from one employer; and
you have no car allowance/company car/travel allowance as well as any other income (e.g. interest or rental income); and you are not claiming tax-related deductions/rebates (e.g. medical expenses, retirement annuity contributions, travel) other than pension contributions made by your employer.

We do however suggest that you still submit a tax return regardless, as can be seen in our blog: Reasons you need to file your tax return

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.