Does INTERPRETATION NOTE: NO. 47 (Issue 3) apply to employed people, or only VAT registered traders?

Trying to determine if items purchased (my car and cell for example) can have part of their value written off for tax purposes if I just happen to be a "normal" employed person and not a trades man or VAT registered.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
1 April 2013 at 12:44

You can write off part of your car, but this would only be allowed if you use it for work purposes and SARS would want you to keep very detailed records. You would also only be able to claim this allowance if you bought the car as part of a credit sale agreement.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.