Do I pay tax on extra monies earned?

My wife earns a basic income of R2975 per month. This is not taxed due to the tax bracket.
She however, also gives dance classes 10 months a year in which she earns an additional R8330 per month.
It costs her R1650 in petrol and vehicle maintenance per month to run the classes.

How much tax should she keep out monthly to pay SARS what is owed to him?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
9 May 2013 at 11:57

The extra income would push your wife into a different tax bracket and therefore cause her to have to pay tax. She would also need to register as a provisional taxpayer - Am I a provisional taxpayer

Roughly the overall amount of tax she should keep aside is:

R8 775 for the tax year.

I hope this helps!

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.