Do I only pay tax for the months I am over the tax bracket?

I am just starting out a part time photography business from home. My income isn't a set amount each month. Do I only pay tax the months I am over the tax bracket? And do I pay tax on my total income - or only the amount after I pay everything - such as medical aid, insurance, business costs etc.
Also, because this is my only source of income - do I only pay income tax or?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
4 September 2012 at 20:52

Assuming you are going to not register a separate business and run it as a sole trader you would pay income tax in your personal name. You would need to split your incomes and expenses related to the "business" from your personal expenses. Treat them as if they are different. You would complete the "local income" section of your ITR12 - income tax return for the business related income and expenses.

You will have to complete an IRP6 at the end of August and the following February which is an estimate of your earnings and you will pay tax at those points -

Even if the earnings change from month to month you would pay tax like this.

Let me know if you have any other questions?

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.