Do I need to register as a provisional taxpayer if I am self employed with irregular income from sam

I am self employed with irregular income from the same source. I have registered with e-filing as individual tax payer. Should this be changed to provisional tax payer?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
16 August 2012 at 18:52

If this is your only income and you are not a salaried employee and earning more than R20 000 in taxable income (profit), you will need to register as a provisional taxpayer. You will always be registered as an individual taxpayer, but underneath that you would fall into the category of a provisional taxpayer. You can register on eFiling and this would mean you need to complete an IRP6 form at the end of August and then again at the end of January and a final ITR12 during tax season.

The only difference is that instead of your tax being withheld on a monthly basis like salaried employees you would pay over every 6 months based on your estimated taxable income.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.