Do I have to register as provisional taxpayer if I earn rental income?

I pay PAYE as a salaried employee. I also have rental income. When doing e filing, do I also say I am a provisional taxpayer for the rental income, and have to register as that?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
4 August 2012 at 13:30

It would depend how much rental income you earn, if the taxable income for rental exceeds R20 000, meaning your "profit" from the rental property then you will need to register as a provisional taxpayer. You will then have to complete an IRP6 by the end of August. You can do this on your eFiling profile. Just check that you do qualify, otherwise no need to register!

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.