Do I have to pay tax on a property in South Africa I sold, if i am a UK citizen?

I had a flat in South Africa which I have sold in Oct 2011 & made a capital gain of about R200 000 less fees of approx R70 000, do I need to fill out tax return for yr ending Feb 2012.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
7 August 2012 at 16:17

You shouldn't need to fill out a tax return in South Africa as it was the responsibility of the buyer to withhold 5% of the proceeds and pay that over to SARS. Non-resident sellers are subject to a withholding tax at a rate between 5 % and 10% depending on whether they are an individual, trust or company. Also if the sale was made for less the R2m then there is no capital gains tax or withholding tax either.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.