Do I have to enter Unit Trusts on my tax form?

In Feb this year (28 Feb to be exact) I contributed a lump sum of R1000 to a Retirement annuity High equity fund, does that have to be reflected on my income tax statement?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
29 October 2012 at 14:42

Hi Faranaaz, you would have received an IT3b/c from (name removed) at some point this year. This is a statement showing the interest or dividends you earned from your unit trusts. Only the interest or dividends earned must be reflected. The R1 000 you contributed does not need to be shown.

Faranaaz says:
29 October 2012 at 14:44

I will have to check if I received it.
So what is the process once I find the document?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
29 October 2012 at 14:45

TaxTim will ask you in the dialogue if you have earned any dividends and in another question if you earned any interest. You would simply enter the amounts from the (name removed) statement there and TaxTim will automatically put it onto the completed return for you.

Any dividends you earned won't be taxed as they were tax free for 2012 and based on the amount you put away each month, the interest you may have earned actually won't be taxed either.

Faranaaz says:
29 October 2012 at 14:46

I just requested the IT3b/IT3c from (name removed) and once I receive it I will continue completing my form on TaxTim. I will make payment once all the information is entered. Thanks for your help!

TaxTim TaxTim says:
29 October 2012 at 14:47

Excellent, please let me know if you have any other queries.

TaxTim is FREE for all Momentum & Multiply members.

Use your ID number at the payment step to claim your free TaxTim voucher

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started FREE

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.