Do your Tax with TaxTim and WIN R10,000  More info   T&C's apply

Difference between Vat and Tax numbers

Leonie says:
29 March 2022 at 9:41

Q: What is the difference between a VAT registration number and a tax reference number. When do I use which one? Are they not the same thing?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
29 March 2022 at 18:20

  A: No, an Income Tax Number and VAT number are two totally different tax types. Income tax registration is compulsory whereas a VAT registration number depends on quite a few factors. The business must however be registered for income tax before a tax clearance or VAT number can be applied for. Your income tax reference number is a unique 10-digit number issued by SARS to a taxpayer on registration. If you earn a taxable income that is above the tax threshold you must register as a taxpayer with SARS and submit your annual tax returns. If you are registered, you can find your tax number on your: Notice of registration from SARS or any correspondence issued by SARS. A business receives a VAT number when registering for the VAT tax, therefore it is compulsory for a business to register for VAT if the total gross income made in any consecutive twelve-month period exceeds R1 million. VAT is imposed on most supplies of goods and services that are bought and sold. A business pays the government the VAT that it collects from the customers while it may also receive a refund from the government on VAT that it has paid to its suppliers.  

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.