Dependant / de-register / required to fill in a tax form if no longer earning a taxable income

Annamarie says:
8 September 2015 at 9:52

I am married and a registered tax payer, no longer earning a taxable income. Do I need to de-register as a tax payer and if not, do I need to submit a tax return?
Can I add my medical expenses to my husband's tax return as a 'dependant' (we do not contribute to a medical aid scheme)?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
9 September 2015 at 22:26

Only if he pays for the actual expenses can you include them in his tax return. You do not need to deregister, but you you should submit nil tax returns each year.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.