Deceased Relative and Savings

Thuto says:
10 February 2021 at 14:37

I have a relative that has unfortunately passed on and I am the dependent that will receive all the savings from this relative- these savings are coming from an international bank account, in Norway. This would be my first time having to claim this and making sure that I do it correctly. What I would like to find out is, what would I need to do on my side to ensure that I am safe and clear with SARS and the laws of the country?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
10 February 2021 at 14:51

Please do note that Foreign Inheritances are not taxable, what you would need to do is to disclose this on your tax return, right under amounts considered non-taxable on your tax return. However, you would need to show the Reserve Bank the origin of the money - so the distribution from the attorney or anything similar. If the money receives interest overseas then there will be a tax liability on that interest.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.