Correction of IRP5 by employer

Cay says:
2 July 2015 at 12:50

The amount stated on my IRP5 for my Travel Allowance is wrong. My employer decreased my allowance without my knowledge and I've only picked up the error now. My employer says it's too late for them to correct it. I now can't claim the full amount of my travel expenses for the year.

Why can't my employer submit the correct figure to SARS and give me a new IRP5?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
2 July 2015 at 12:53

That is not true at all, they can correct it with SARS and this would then update your IRP5 (you might have to click an update button on eFiling though). Your other option is to manually correct the IRP5 on eFiling, but the issue is that SARS will then audit you and you will have to provide a letter from your employer explaining what has happened.

However the lower amount means that your tax has actually been overpaid, so this would mean you are more likely to be due a refund if you leave it uncorrected. The choice is yours to correct it or not.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.