Cellphone depreciation?

What supporting documents do I need to add if I claim for cellphone depreciation. If I use my phone for mainly business but I pay for the contract not my employer?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
3 July 2013 at 8:42

Have you been asked to submit supporting documents?

Jurg says:
3 July 2013 at 8:56

Yes I was. Or should I just leave it out and resubmit?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
3 July 2013 at 10:59

You can show them the invoice from the cell company, but SARS are very sticky with this sort of depreciation, so I would include a picture of the phone as well and a letter from the cell company stating the actual value of the handset which you used to calculate the depreciation on.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.