Capital gains tax on primary residence

Chris says:
9 March 2016 at 22:03

I want to proceed with Tax Tim to complete my tax return for 2015 as it seems I have a penalty of R 1215. My question is, my tax practitioner did not complete my last tax return and I have managed to gain control of my SARS eFiling and changed my status from a Provisional Tax Payer to Ordinary Tax Payer, do I submit my tax return as a Provisional or Personal Tax Payer. I did not work in 2015, sold my jointly owned property in JHB, moved to CT and bought another property from the proceeds. I have since divorced and sold the CT property which was also jointly owned by me and ex spouse. My primary residence proceeds of the sale was 400,000 which I have been living on until I started work in November 2015, do I declare this money as it was my primary residence and do I get taxed on it?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
9 March 2016 at 22:25

You will need to declare the capital gain, but will not pay tax as you are allowed a R2m primary residence exclusion on the gain. However you must submit and file a tax return.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.