Can my wife claim medical expenses that we pay jointly on her return alone?

Both my wife and I are employed taxpayers. Her gross salary is in the order of 24000/month and mine is in the order of 34000/month as of January 1st of next year (it's slightly less at the moment). Our medical aid payment is about R1900/month. Last year, I didn't get any benefit for this on my tax return, since the total contributions were less than 7.5% of my salary. Is it legal and acceptable for me to stop claiming any medical expenses on my tax return, and having her claim it all on hers? If my calculations are correct, the total is more than 7.5% of her gross salary, so at least she would get some benefit from the money we're paying every month. Also, should we shift the membership to her name or can we keep it in my name and just claim it back on her return?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
22 August 2014 at 14:06

You should still have received a credit for the contributions to medical aid, these are not the same as the 7.5% threshold, that is for out of pocket expenses. On your IRP5, you should have seen something under the PAYE next to code 4116.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.