Can I register my business for tax after 2 years running?

I have a business that is just breaking even. I cannot afford to pay tax.

The business is running for two years now and we have not registered for tax or for VAT.

What is your advice?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
13 August 2013 at 12:17

If the business is not making a profit then there is no tax to be paid as corporate tax is only paid on profits and not revenue generated. You only need to register for VAT if your turnover is more than R1m a year. Then you will charge an extra 14% on your sales, but you will also be able to claim 14% of your expenses. Being a VAT vendor only means you act as an agent for SARS collecting VAT and does not affect your profitability.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.