Can I claim tax which was deducted in one month extra because I received a backpay?

I have received two backpays in one year because of payroll and HR incompetence. So, when they ultimately pay it in for me it is a great amount of money which places me in a higher income bracket and therefore I have to pay more tax. But if they just payed the increased amount monthly I like they were supposed to, I would have stayed in my normal income bracket.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
4 April 2013 at 23:51

Although you pay more tax in the month which you receive the back pay you will get the difference from the new tax bracket back from SARS when you submit your tax return for that filing season.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.