Blog Q&A Calculators Students Logbook Contact
Earn under R350,000?Click here to see why you still need to file to get your Tax Refund.
CLOSE
Maximum Tax Refund 2017

  Make Tax Returns Quick & Easy.
  First time users SAVE 15%!

Click here

Can I claim tax back on medical expenses if my medical aid is partially subsidized by my Employer?

Posted 3 July 2014 under Tax Q&A


Let TaxTim
help you
submit your
Tax returns!


TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Blog Categories


Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →
I am currently employed and am ready to submit my tax return; however I have a question relating to medical expenses that were not covered by my medical aid. My medical aid is partially subsidized by my company, I contribute 40% and my employer contributes the remaining 60% towards the monthly contributions.
Am I still allowed to claim tax back on these medical expenses even though I do not pay the full medical aid contribution?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
3 July 2014 at 10:32

The tax credit has already most likely been taken into account in your PAYE if this is paid via your employer. Send your IRP5 to tim@taxtim.com for us to have a look quick.


Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
 

We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.

Blog Categories


Let TaxTim
help you
submit your
Tax returns!


TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!