Can I claim my prescription glasses as medical expenses?

Posted 22 November 2012 under Tax Q&A
I cannot see without glasses and have been prescribed glasses for anytime use and driving. Can I claim this from my tax as medical expenses - they are very expensive!

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
22 November 2012 at 9:17

You are able to deduct all qualifying medical expenditure that was not paid by your medical aid and this includes glasses where it has been prescribed by a specialist/doctor/optometrist. You would include this amount next to source code 4020 on your ITR12 tax return under the medical aid section or answer the question TaxTim asks you if you are using our service. Due to SARS thresholds, not all of the claim will be allowed as a deduction, but put it all in anyway.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →