Can I claim medical expenses for 37 year old son who I have been supporting? He is not on my med ai

I incurred around R4 000 medical expenses for son who is not on a medical aid or on mine. He is 37 years old and doesn't have any disabilities and is not studying. He is also unemployed since returning from overseas. All the medical documents show his name on it, however I paid for all of them via my credit card. Am I able to claim this from SARS?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
2 July 2013 at 19:01

Do you pay for his medical aid as well?

Geni says:
3 July 2013 at 8:55

He is not on any medical aid at all. Any medical expenses come directly out of my pocket.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
4 July 2013 at 10:10

(iii) over the age of 26 years and was wholly or partially dependent for his maintenance upon the
taxpayer and has not become liable for the payment of normal tax in respect of such year and was
a full-time student at an educational institution of a public character; or

What this means is that unless you are paying you'r son's medical aid you won't be able to deduct the extra expenditure incurred.

Geni says:
4 July 2013 at 11:09

Thank you very much Tim --- at least I now know and wont put myself into trouble with SARS with incorrect claims !! ---- that would definitely not be worth it.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
4 July 2013 at 22:16

Only a pleasure, glad I could help!

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.