Can I claim for the depreciation of my vehicle for which I get an allowance or is that included?

I get an allowance of R48 000 p.a and I incured costs of R75 000 inlcusive of the lease payment for the vehicle in my name. I also incured personal expenses of R765 not recovered from the medical aid. The SARS calculator retuned R9885. I dont think thats right.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
11 July 2013 at 19:17

It would depend on the mileage that you do which is the ultimate factor in determining the refund from a travel allowance claim. There is a formula which then gives a rand value and is multiplied by the number of km's used for business as a percentage of the total of mileage.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.