Can I claim for a car which i "leased" from my previous employer?

My previous employer bought a fleet of cars which he then branded. The deal was that we pay for it over 4 years after which the car would be evaluated and we could buy it for half the value. I left the company after 4 years and 4 months and was told that he was not selling the car to me. A monthly deduction appears on my commission slip (earned comm.only as a sales executive) for the car and petrol but this does not appear on the IRP5. I also did not receive a travelling allowance.

How can i claim for this?I unfortunately did not keep a logbook.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
5 March 2013 at 11:21

As a pure commission based earner you would be entitled to deduct the expenses actually incurred in earning that income. So the travel expenses would be allowed as a deduction. Your employer may already have taken this into account when calculating your monthly PAYE paid over to SARS, but it does concern me that this does not reflect on your IRP5.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.