Can I claim back on RA contributions if my business is the payer?

I'm self employed, I have a retirement annuity but my premiums are paid through the business.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
29 January 2013 at 20:45

If you are self-employed which business are you referring to? Do you run a business as a sole proprietor? Or do you have a registered company whom pays you a salary each month?

Sam says:
30 January 2013 at 9:13

I have a CC, currently I run my expenses from the company account. Would the scenario differ if the company paid me a salary each month?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
30 January 2013 at 17:06

If the CC is paying for it then you in effect you owe the CC money for making this contribution because you are not receiving a salary. However if the CC were to be paying you a salary each month then this would form part of your employment package and you could deduct it for tax purposes. Either way the CC would be able to deduct it as an expense.

TaxTim is FREE for all Momentum & Multiply members.

Use your ID number at the payment step to claim your free TaxTim voucher

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started FREE

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.