Building cost deduction

I am a single parent trying to build a home for my family. The bond that I qualified for on my salary does not cover all expenses and I've had to pay for a lot of things out of my own pocket, such as R22 000 developers' fee for building on a plot, R17 500 getting electricity supplied to the plot, R15 000 getting sewerage connection to the plot, R5 500 for water to the plot. Can I claim for these expenses as a tax deduction?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
22 April 2013 at 19:19

You cannot claim theses costs as a deduction, part these costs will form part of the base costs of the property so that in the event that you sell the property the capital gains tax owing on any profit will be smaller.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.