Am I a provisional taxpayer if I work freelance?

I'm a freelance writer earning very little, in fact I might just be over the tax threshold of R58k in the coming year. Do I have to register as a provisional taxpayer and do I have to pay 18% up front for the next tax year? (I've done 2011-2012, I was below the R58k)

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
29 November 2012 at 15:11

For 2013 the tax threshold is R63 556, as a freelancer and not working fulltime for one employer you will need to register as a provisional taxpayer and submit an IRP6 twice a year. You will have to pay the tax upfront based on your estimated income and then if you paid too much you will receive a refund when you submit your final tax return during tax season.

Unfortunately as said, if you are expecting to be over the tax threshold you will need to register!

Try my simple Q&A to decide if you are provisional or not:

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.