Tax return filling requirements for non resident with SA bank interest income?

Posted 23 June 2015 under Tax Q&A
Dimu says:
4 June 2015 at 8:47

Tim, I am (i) a foreign national (ii) non-resident in SA for tax purposes (physical presence test) and (iii) will likely spend more than 183 days in SA in the tax year 2015/16. My only SA source income is interest income from a bank, which is unlikely to exceed R40-50. 000. Do I need to register with SARS and file an income tax return for the tax year 2015/16 under those circumstances?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
5 June 2015 at 8:33

You do not need to register or submit a return because even though you are taxed on your SA income the total amount is below the tax thresholds.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →