Do your tax with TaxTim and WIN R10,000  T&C's apply
How do you currently do your tax?
SARS eFiling Tax Practitioner Auto-assessment New to tax

Chronic medication not cover by medical aids

I am receiving chronic medication that is not covered by any medical aid since they not on the list for chronic medicine. The cost for this medicine is R13 000(thirteen thousand rand) per month which work out to R156000 per year. I earn R405850 per year and was wondering how much of this would I be able to claim?.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
30 August 2012 at 14:00

You can claim all of it on the ITR12 - tax return. Whatever your taxable income is (basically your income less expenses), SARS will allow a deduction for non medical aid expenses of any amount over 7.5% of the taxable income. So if you taxable income is R400 000 then any amount over R30 000 would be allowed as a deduction so you would be entitled to quite a large refund. They will probably ask you for supporting documentation so I suggest getting this printed out and ready to send.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.