Latest Posts in Tax Q&A

Sale of rental property

My son works abroad, but he owns a rental property in South Africa which he sold recently. Is he required to pay capital gains tax on the proceeds?

Are foreign students required to pay tax on their earnings for part-time work?

My son is a foreign student studying for his degree at a South African University. He has a valid Study visa and is permitted under this visa to work 20 hours per week. His employer wants to pay him a salary of R10,000 per month. Firstly does my son have to pay tax on this and if so, how does he register with SARS without a SA Identity document?

Do I need to file old returns to obtain refund, even if I fell below the tax filing threshold?

SARS want to me file all my previous tax returns in order to receive my refund for this year. In 2011 I tutored at a university and earned below the tax filing threshold and therefore did not file my tax return. How do I file my tax return now for 2012 or how do I show SARS that I didn't need to?

Can I apply for a tax clearance certificate?

My ITR12 for 2016 is still outstanding as my bookkeeper is still compiling my invoices, can I still apply for a tax clearance certificate?

Who can claim additional medical tax credit for their children

My husband pays the medical aid for himself and me his wife and 2 children and he claims the tax credit back for this. There is no point in him claiming additional medical tax credit for other medical out of pocket expenses as he earns too much to qualify for this. I however earn much less. Can I on my tax return claim additional medical tax credit for any medical out of pocket expenses for myself and my 2 children.

SARS correction still possible?

I submitted an income tax return as farming sole prop for 2016. SARS requested supporting documentation and then I uploaded an income statement. I then received an Operations Audit letter from SARS asking to furnish them with the reason of farming income loss. The letter was emailed and does not appear on SARS eFiling. On SARS eFiling they sent a new letter the same as the old one requesting supporting documentation and the generic letter that says if you dont agree re-look at your tax return. I...

Read more →

File ITR14

My company was registered in October 2016 and my financial year end is February, can you help me do my IRP6 and company tax return or should I wait as the company have not started trading?

IRP6 required

SARS requested an IRP6 from me but I was not trading in that tax period, what should I do?

Claim more than 27.5% on retirement deduction

If I am able to contribute more than the mentioned 27.5% of my income towards a retirement fund, will SARS still give me a deduction for the entire contribution?

Tax on pension contributions

I save money in a separate bank account and plan to use it once I retire, can I claim it as a retirement fund contribution?

Calculate the tax amount when I resign at work on the amount of R1200 000 pension and provident fund

How do I calculate the tax amount when I resign at work on the amount of R1200 000 pension and provident fund

Tax estimation

Good day I intend resigning from the public service after 26 yrs service. My resignation benefit is R2,5 million. May you kindly estimate how much will be taxed?

I need copy of IRP5 from 2008 to 2009

Hi I am in process of immigration to Australia and my case officer ask me for my IRP5 for a formal employer it was since 2008 and I am not sure that I got it or not is there any way I can get electronic copy

Paying double tax on pension

I get paid a monthly pension from my late husband's employee benefits, on which PAYE is deducted. On the annual tax statement and the details that get sent directly to SARS, it will show the full gross pension for the year, less the PAYE paid. Why then, does the net pension amount (after PAYE) still get included in taxable income for the year? Surely I am then paying PAYE as well as another layer of income tax on the remainder, i. e. On the net income? My tax assessment shows the taxable pension...

Read more →

How do you perform tax calculations for property and interest while married in Community of Property

My husband and I own property, receive interest income and are married in Community of Property. What percentage of the property income, property expenses and interest income should we each include on our Provisional tax under the total turnover and estimated taxable income respectively?

Does income earned in Mozambique need to be included in my SA tax return if I reside in South Africa

I work remotely for a Mozambique company in South Africa, do I have to include the income earned in Mozambique in my SA tax return?

Tax directives

I went from a permanent position to a consultancy contract position - Do I need a tax directive and what kind of tax directive ?

I need a new tax number

I need a new tax number as SARS says I cant use my old number to apply for a tax directive after I was declared insolvent, can you help me or tell me how I should go about this please?

Foreign tax on invoice

We charge a management fee for services rendered in Botswana. They withheld 10% how do we claim it back and can we claim any VAT on this invoice from outside in South Africa?

Payment of income tax on Fixed Deposit investments

If I dont receive the interest I earn as my investment is over a 36 month period, do I still have to declare the interest earned during the year?

Can I still submit a claim?

How can I check to see if I have unclaimed cash with SARS, I pay tax all my life and never claim anything, I'm working for an electrical company?

What deductions are allowable for a salaried employee who works from home?

I am a monthly salaried employee and my employer deducts PAYE. However, my salary is based on an hourly rate with no fixed base, i. E. No work, no pay, and varies from month-to-month. I work 100% from home and am responsible for all work-related expenses. Can I claim a percentage of my rates and taxes, electricity and telephone?

How much monies after tax?

I received a R9000 settlement from a CCMA dispute, can you tell me how much tax I should pay on it please?

Payment of income tax on rental income and interest earned.

I have some rental income that I would like to invest monthly in my fixed deposit. I know I must pay tax on both the rental income and the interest earned but when? I have to fill in a tax return twice yearly as a provisional tax payer. If the rental income and interest is fixed into the deposit account and I am not allowed to withdraw money, how would I go about paying the interest? Should I keep funds separate specifically for this in another account.

Deregister foor provisional tax

I am an estate agent and earn only commission income. I am registered for provisional tax, but my employer has now started to deduct PAYE from my commission. Can I now deregister for provisional tax?
Older posts →← Newer posts    3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.