Do your tax with TaxTim and WIN R10,000  T&C's apply
How do you currently do your tax?
SARS eFiling Tax Practitioner Auto-assessment New to tax

Audit / Verification Posts in Tax Q&A

Must employer refund tax to me?

Employer deducted tax from my month's pay as if I had worked only one week instead of four. Must the employer refund the over-deducted tax to me?

I will not earn above the tax threshold this year as I am now a full-time student, so how do I get my money back?

Can I dispute a claim from a few years back?

I believe I qualified for a exemption on my tax a few years ago (around 2011/2012) - out the country for more than 183 days with one trip more than 60 consecutive days all for work purposes. My tax consultant at the time said he submitted all the documents, but when I went to SARS they said they had not recieved them. I handed them in at SARS and they requested further information which I submitted. They then requested further information which I then got so frustrated I decided to give up on th...

Read more →

SA pension taxed in Mauritius

According to the SARS website if you are a resident of Mauritius you can apply for a directive to have your income from a South African pension to be taxed in Mauritius provided you supply proof of being a registered tax payer in Mauritius (part of the DTA agreement). Please can you confirm this as the difference in tax rates between the 2 countries is huge.

tax liability on a small business income

My turnover for my small business was R2 610 525
my loss after expenses was -R793 994
how much tax must I pay?

tax liability

Is it possible to pay 25% TAX on a R8 500 salary when you are not employed on a permanent basis as yet?

I haven't received my refund for 2014

My original 2014 assessment showed a refund due but it was never made. How do I go about requesting SARS for the refund?

What documents to submit when I use TaxTim to submit my tax return?

I am a Sole Proprietor and have signed up for individual tax and provisional tax with you. With regards to my Tax documents, can I send you my bank statements and slips, as well as a summary of my payments on an excel document?

tax refund and deductions

Hi I have never submitted anything for tax so need to find out if there is something to claim I've been full time employed from 2007 and never submitted anything should I have done and what is the procedures, I do pay tax on my payslip and pay half of my medical fund?

Changing of banking details-SARS Tax practitioners unit

I want to change a clients banking details at a SARS tax practitioners unit. I understand that only the tax practitioner himself can change the banking details of a client on behalf of the client with a letter of power of attorney. I want to know whether an employee of the tax practitioner, with a mandate to act on behalf of the tax practitioner, can change the banking details of a client if the client himself also attends the SARS appointment with the employee of the tax practitioner?

Delay of payment of tax refund for 2015

I submitted my tax return to SARS via SARS eFiling for 2015 on time. The Tax Calculator indicated that the amount of R7584. 18 was due to me. This was confirmed by the SARS Notice of Assessment dated 2 February 2016. I quote from the correspondence as part of the Notice of Assessment: Your assessment has been concluded and reflects an amount refundable to you of R -7584. 18. Please note that this amount only reflects your income tax assessment and does not reflect tax payable under any previous assessment or any other balances on your account. The current balance on your assessed account is R -7729. 80. ((I am unsure of the full meaning of this))...

Read more →

How much will my tax refund be?

Joe turned 65 in June 2015. He earned R240 000. 00 during tax year, and there was no other deductions from salary. He contributed R6 000. 00 during the year to private medical aid. And R30 000. 00 of other medical expenses. What is the amount he can claim on his tax return.?

How to treat NHS contributions made in UK on my SA tax return

I was employed in the UK for 3 months during the 2016 tax year and had to tax return to SA for personal reasons. I do meet the physical presence tests for purposes of being taxed in SA on my income received in the UK. But, my question is whether I can take the NHS contributions made in the UK as an additional foreign tax credit against my taxable income when doing my 2016 SARS tax return? Both tax and NHS amounts were deducted from my UK salary but I haven't been able to claim back anything from...

Read more →

Tax on initial lump sum payment upon early retirement

How much of R220 000. 00 is paid as lump sum on retirement at the age of 55?
Is the lump sum tax deductable?

Does SARS pay interest on refunds due?

Interest payable on refunds:

I objected against admin penalties incorrectly charged and I am due a refund of R18,000
I objected against a incorrect tax assessment medical expenses not allowed refund of R9,261
I overpaid assessed tax by R7,000

Will SARS pay interest on these amounts owing to me? The admin penalties was initially taken from a refund due to me so they had already been paid.

Tax on a sole proprietor

I have just opened a sole proprietor in my name. My questions is probably one of the most common ones but I would love to receive a clear answer. I would like to know:
~How much Tax would I pay on my sole proprietor income?
~Is it Tier related?
~Or is it the same Tax doesn't matter how little or much my sole proprietor earns?
~Can I claim this tax back?
~And final question How does my own income apart from the sole proprietor effect the taxes?

Supporting documents for capital gains tax deduction

I have sold my primary residence which was bought in 2002 and there will be a profit of more than
R2 000 000 subjected to Capital Gains Tax. There were a few small improvements (not maintenance) done over the years which I believe can be included in the base cost for example Paving, Blinds, Towel and curtain rails, cornices and garden landscaping. However, I do not have documentary proof for some of the older improvements anymore. (Improvements still form part of property)
My question...

Read more →

No IRP5 due to retrenchment

We got retrenched in Sept 2015 after not being paid two months salaries. Employer claimed liquidation, but no details up to now. We do not have IRP5 because the sub-contracted audit/payroll company has not been paid for such service, and they are refusing to provide us with IRP5 due to non-payment by the employer that retrenched us. How do we go about solving this problem? We need IRP5 for the 2015/2016 tax season submission.

Medical deduction

I paid for the medical fees when my girlfriend gave birth to our son, I'd like to know if a can claim it back form SARS. She doesnt belong to a medical aid

Medical expenses on chronic medication

Are payments by Medical Aid Funds for medical expenses incurred ( eg. Chronic medication) on behalf of a member treated as qualified medical expenses

PAYE deduction from Independent Contractor

I am a bookkeeper new to the film production industry and need some clarity on freelance artists. My understanding is that unless they have a registered company the deduction is 25% from their earnings without fail. If they claim they have a company then I am to ask for the company registration certificate for audit purposes and not deduct PAYE

Will SARS refund one amount for 2009 to 2016?

Hi Tim, I have an income tax statement but the period is from 2009 to 2016 and I have already received one payment do I still get other payments from SARS or is it only one payment?

May a sole proprietor have travel allowance and must retirement or providend fund be deducted monthl

I would like to know if a sole proprietor may allocate a travel allowance to himself?

In regards to a retirement or provident fund may I do payment once a year up to 27. 5% of my earnings or must I do it monthly?

Your help will be greatly appreciated



I wanted to knw if a contract worker is allowed to claim a tax return?or isn't claimed by the people who's bt working

How much will my PAYE be and am I due for a tax refund?

I earn 12000 a month which calculates to 124 000 per year. What is my total taxes and what is the amount of my tax return if I am eligible for a tax return pay out and can my employer file my tax tax returns on my behalf

I would like to know how can I get my tax refund

I would like to know if it is possible that I can be able to get a tax refund after retrenchment.
Older posts →← Newer posts    2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.